Council is committed to protecting privacy and complying with our obligations under the:
Personal information will be used only for the purposes outlined below. Where the intended use includes confidentiality, information will be treated as confidential unless otherwise required or authorised by law.
This Privacy Statement explains how your personal information will be treated when you interact with Council and this website. The practices outlined in this Privacy Statement are subject to any rights we may have to handle personal information in accordance with relevant legislation.
The personal information we collect via this website may include:
- the content of any electronic forms you submit, documents you provide or transactions you make via this website;
- messages or comments you submit to us via this website or to email addresses displayed on this website;
- information submitted if you participate in an online survey;
- personal information such as name, address, email address and telephone number;
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the machine that accessed it;
- your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au);
- the address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit;
- the pages accessed, documents downloaded and other sites visited;
- the type of browser and operating system used.
Personal information you provide to us will generally only be used and disclosed for any Council's purpose, in emergencies, with your consent to another use or as required or authorised by law. We may also disclose your personal information to your authorised representative/s or third parties acting on your behalf (e.g. your solicitor, power of attorney, or interpreter).
Where we collect personal information from you, this Privacy Statement indicates which third parties we might share your information with. In addition to providing services to you and carrying out your requests, we may use or disclose personal information that we collect for purposes including:
- the main purpose that we have collected the information;
- purposes related to our research, planning, product and service development, security and testing;
- purposes connected with the administration, development, enhancement and delivery of Council services, including this website;
- purposes of informing, engaging and consulting with you in future;
- any other purposes required or authorised by law.
Council is to be regarded as the agency that holds the information. We may share information within Council and with third parties. The types of third parties we may share personal information with may include:
- service providers engaged by us from time to time to assist us in delivering our services (e.g. service partners or organisations who may provide archival, auditing, professional advisory, banking, mail-house, delivery, recruitment, call centre, information technology, research, utility, security or other like services);
- other agents or contractors of Council;
- other public sector agencies and statutory authorities;
- any other third party as required or authorised by law.
We provide feedback facilities on our website to allow users to provide input into the future development of the site and to comment on the provision of services by Council. Providing personal information on feedback is optional. We may publish aggregated information about feedback on the site, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
Information provided in feedback will be used and disclosed in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
The information that we collect from you via application and registration forms and in transactions may be personal information for the purposes of the PPIP Act. Council collects this personal information from you in order to process and respond to your application or registration. The supply of the required information by you is not voluntary. If you cannot provide or do not wish to provide the information sought, then we may be limited in dealing with your application, registration or transaction.
When you make an application, registration or transaction, it will be forwarded to the appropriate Council officer/s and (if necessary) any other third parties to whom your application, registration or transaction relates, or who can assist in processing your application, registration or transaction and delivering the service to you.
Information provided by you in your application, registration or transaction will be used and disclosed in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Under privacy legislation, you have rights to apply for access to your personal information held by us, without excessive delay or expense. You have the right to request to have your personal information changed in certain circumstances (e.g. if it is inaccurate). You may also request that we suppress your personal information from a public register. We will consider these applications in accordance with the PPIP Act or HRIP Act or other relevant legislation.
To access or change your personal information, please make your request:
Where appropriate you will be able to request access to your personal information directly, without the need to make a formal application under the Government Information (Public Access) Act (GIPA). However, there are situations where it will not be appropriate to provide direct access to information and you will be required to make a GIPA application, for example, where providing direct access would compromise the privacy of another person.
For information on making a GIPA application please visit the Your Right to Public Information page.